Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Journalist Learning from the Past

Christiane Amanpour's introspective look into her evolution as journalist is helpful to young journalists like ourselves http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/11/24/sbm.amanpour.essay/index.html?eref=rss_topstories.
We haven't talked a great deal in class about reporting on very sensitive subjects or stories that we might get emotionally involved in. I recently went to do a story on a center that helps BYU students with varying disabilities. I went in ready to do a quick interview and turn it for a 30 second wrap for the afternoon. As I read more about the center and carried out the interview I felt myself being pulled into the story. My older sister has a learning disability and have the same disability but to a lesser degree. After the interview I went into the studio to write and report and I felt like the story deserved more than its 30 seconds. I talked to my news director and got approval for a three minute feature. While my experience is nothing compared the genocides and wars that Amanpour has covered I feel I may have out myself in an activist rather than a journalistic role. Before I proceed with the feature I will need to take a step back and be more objective. While features are not hard news, it should follow journalistic ethics nonetheless. What do you think I should do to take myself out of the story? Might this be one of the rare opportunities to put myself into a story? Is there such thing as a good time to put yourself into a story. Let me know!

No comments: